From: Amar Cosic <amar.cosic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Office web filtering
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:16:14
1 On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
2
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > Anyone got any suggestions regarding web filtering for a small office of a
6 > dozen employees?
7 >
8 > I'd assume Squid + Google-it-you-lazy-git, but there are a couple of
9 > requirements that make my request a little unusual.
10 >
11 > Firstly, instead of simply blocking pr0n & allowing everything else, the
12 > site primarily wants to block Hotmail & Facebook.
13 >
14 > I assume that what this _really means_ is that they want to block
15 > everything by default and add a whitelist of work-related sites (it's an
16 > estate agent, so http://rightmove.co.uk would be on the whitelist, for
17 > instance).
18 >
19 > Secondly, they want to perform the blocking for most of the day, but relax
20 > the restrictions between 11am - 11:15am & 1pm - 2pm.
21 >
22 > And thirdly, the bosses want to be excluded from the filtering. One obvious
23 > way to do this is filtering by their MAC or IP address - none of the staff
24 > are geek enough to get around this but nevertheless it's a bit clumsy &
25 > requires maintenance if the boss gets a new laptop.
26 >
27 > So what I'd prefer is really some kind of system that pops up a message
28 > "this site cannot be displayed because it is in the filter category
29 > [pr0n|frivolous]; if you would like to see it anyway, please enter your
30 > username & password". I used to work at a place that displayed a similar
31 > message & allowed with a single click a user to submit to the admin websites
32 > that had been blacklisted in error; so I am sure something like this is
33 > possible, I just don't know if it's available in open-source.
34 >
35 > Thanks in advance,
36 >
37 > Stroller.