From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:04:36
1 On 2010-02-23, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:33:56 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >>> No, I read them from a number of machines but using a single
5 >>> server that handles all the filtering too.
6 >>
7 >> Same here -- the only difference between the two approaches is
8 >> who's administering the server. You handle it yourself, I let
9 >> gmane do it. :)
10 >
11 > The main difference is that mine still works when my Internet
12 > connection is not available.
13
14 I read the mailing lists from many different locations. I don't
15 keep complete Usenet and mailing-list archives at all machines
16 and locations. It doesn't really matter to me where the server
17 is -- if I've no network access, I can't read Usenet or mailing
18 lists. But, it's just not an issue.
19
20 > And that all my mail is accessible from the same place,
21 > including mails I'd never put on a server owned by someone
22 > else.
23
24 I guess I just have no interest in keeping archives of 50
25 newsgroups/mailing-lists on a handful of different machines.
26 Any "servers" I set up would be a lot less reliable and
27 accessible than those at either Gmane or my Usenet provider.
30 Grant Edwards grante Yow! So this is what it
31 at feels like to be potato
32 visi.com salad