From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:45:06
1 On Mittwoch 28 Oktober 2009, Sebastian Beßler wrote:
2 > Am 28.10.2009 18:59, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 > > On Wednesday 28 October 2009 19:35:00 Sebastian Beßler wrote:
4 > >> Am 28.10.2009 17:47, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
5 > >>> Is your mail server really configured that local root mail needs a
6 > >>> password?
7 > >>
8 > >> I don't have a local mail server on my desktop maschine. Sure, I could
9 > >> install some kind of relay to my non-local mailserver but then I need to
10 > >> store username and password in the config file of that relay.
11 > >
12 > > You don't need a mailserver. Drop a text file formatted as mail in the
13 > > admin users maildir, and point the mail client at it as just another
14 > > source of mail.
15 >
16 > That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
17 > maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
18 > the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
19 >
20 > But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
21 > do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
22 >
23 > My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
24 > running on his maschine.
25 >
26 > Greetings
27 >
28 > Sebastian
31 then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
32
33 mail is just an additional bonus feature.