From: "Sebastian Beßler" <webmaster@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:35:02
1 Am 28.10.2009 18:59, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Wednesday 28 October 2009 19:35:00 Sebastian Beßler wrote:
3 >> Am 28.10.2009 17:47, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
4 >>> Is your mail server really configured that local root mail needs a
5 >>> password?
6 >>
7 >> I don't have a local mail server on my desktop maschine. Sure, I could
8 >> install some kind of relay to my non-local mailserver but then I need to
9 >> store username and password in the config file of that relay.
10 >
11 > You don't need a mailserver. Drop a text file formatted as mail in the admin
12 > users maildir, and point the mail client at it as just another source of mail.
13
14 That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
15 maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just read
16 the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
17
18 But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has to
19 do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
20
21 My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
22 running on his maschine.
23
24 Greetings
25