From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID-0 with LVM - is there any point?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 07:56:31
1 Hello Daniel Iliev,
2
3 > Actually I'd be glad to read some results from a "Fake RAID-0 vs LVM"
4 > tests. My bet would be that RAID-0 w/o LVM would give the best speeds
5
6 Omitting LVM isn't an option, I'd lose all the flexibility that LVM
7 offers. I don't see why RAID-0 should be necessarily more efficient than
8 LVM, unless there's something superior about RAID-0's striping
9 algorithms. I could do some before and after tests, but I'd first have the
10 reformat the filesystems to remove any effects of fragmentation.
11
12 If no one comes up with a good reason for keeping the RAID, I'll get rid
13 of it, running bonnie++ before and after.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Contentsoftaglinemaysettleduringshipping.