From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID-0 with LVM - is there any point?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:47:56
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Hello Daniel Iliev,
5 >> Actually I'd be glad to read some results from a "Fake RAID-0 vs LVM"
6 >> tests. My bet would be that RAID-0 w/o LVM would give the best speeds
9 > Omitting LVM isn't an option, I'd lose all the flexibility that LVM
10 > offers. I don't see why RAID-0 should be necessarily more efficient than
11 > LVM, unless there's something superior about RAID-0's striping
12 > algorithms. I could do some before and after tests, but I'd first have the
13 > reformat the filesystems to remove any effects of fragmentation.
14 >
15 > If no one comes up with a good reason for keeping the RAID, I'll get rid
16 > of it, running bonnie++ before and after.
21 Hi, Neil!
22
23 Out of curiosity I made some tests which confirmed my expectations. What
24 about you - did you have time (and wish) to take some performance
25 benchmarks? I would be glad to see some additional results.
26
27 I'm attaching my tests in file called "bench.txt".
31 Best regards,
32 Daniel

bench.txt text/plain