From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What to do about firefox
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:32:42
1 Jonathan Wright schreef:
2 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 >
4 >> I may have misconfigured it early on. Is there something in
5 >> particular I should look for?
8 > I know there used to be issues with firefox where it had difficulty
9 > releasing memory when you have had a large number of tabs running.
10 > The only way to release it is to shut down firefox.
11 >
12 > However, I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet though.
15 Speaking from experience, I would say it has not (although I have not
16 used the newest revision of 1.0.6 long enough to say if it is fixed
17 there). I
18 commonly run with all the tabs open my desktop will hold (about 30), and
19 I can certainly confirm that after a while (some 12 hours or more), I
20 have found that other programs seem to have 'issues' (especially
21 Wine/Cedega, for example), which are solved by closing Firefox. Not that
22 Firefox itself has any issues, but it does seem to have a memory leak?
23 hog? something-- which saddens me, because it makes me feel like I'm
24 using Mozilla again, which had these kinds of problems for a long, long
25 time. Firefox was a big relief because it *didn't* have 'that damn
26 Mozilla memory problem', but it seems to have developed it.
27
28 Holly
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list