From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] specifying DNS servers
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:44:51
1 On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:38:48 -0400, Mark wrote:
2
3 > I receive internet DNS information from the DSL connection, so no
4 > problem there. But I want my internal connection to know about the
5 > internal DNS servers as well.
6
7 Assuming your internal DNS servers give an almost instant response (they
8 should do on a small LAN), you can put all the servers
9 in /etc/resolve.conf, with the internal ones at the top. Then set your
10 DHCP options in /etc/conf.d/net to not overwrite /etc/resolv.conf.
11
12 Now all you queries should go to the internal servers first. If they
13 don't have (and won't forward and cache) external DNS information, the
14 resolver will try the next server, the ISP one.
15
16 If your internal servers are also connected to the Internet, you may not
17 even need an external server.
18
19 > Given all of that, which of the above suggestions is my best bet?
20
21 There's nothing above, you top-posted :(
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Remember, it takes 47 muscles to frown
28 And only 4 to pull the trigger of a sniper rifle....