From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:00:28
1 Thanasis <thanasis <at> asyr.hopto.org> writes:
4 > on 01/29/2014 03:36 PM James wrote the following:
5
6 > > Once the newer kernel series come out, the newer versions
7 > > of a series (usually) slow way down on being delivered.
8 > Not necessarily, if some devs are maintaining a series as "long term",
9 > which, I think, is the case for the 3.10.X series (if I am not wrong).
10
11 Long term kernel series usually have one key guy (Cox historically) versus
12 thousands of devs work on things for new/latest/upcoming kernel releases. I
13 am a big fan of Alan Cox, as many of us are, and he is quite prolific
14 to be sure, but what you are saying, makes you appear, ignorant
15 of kernel development processes. I only use Alan Cox, as an example;
16 I have no idea who the long-term kernel maintainer is now, but
17 historically it's been somebody with a vested interest, or
18 some poor-unappreciated sap....imho.
19
20 The purpose of the long-term maintained kernels is in-fact and indeed,
21 so that folks do not have to change kernels often. Those features that
22 are fixed in a kernel series, are also "pulled-forward" into
23 the newer kernels series. FEW have valid reasons not to upgrade to
24 the newer series of stable kernels. It mu
25
26 Sometimes folks have to stay with a kernel series, because a vendor
27 binary patch forces them into this situation. In that case, the
28 vendor supplied patch might not even work (compile) with newer kernels
29 in a particular series. Commercial vendor support of a binary
30 wedged into a linux kernel, is fraught with all sorts of issues
31 quite often. Staying within a given kernel series is easier (mostly)
32 for companies to maintain a binary patch, with a poorly qualified
33 (learning?) noob kernel hacker, imho.....
36 If you want further help, you have to precisely define "why"
37 you need to stay in a particular kernel series, but yet
38 you need to be notified, immediately, without expending
39 some extra effort yourself? You seem to be in a place (a want meerely?)
40 that the good-conservative folks associated with kernel responsibility,
41 do not provide for, because not many people have a valid reason
42 for such?
45 > > Maybe a wildcard with the kernel series name in your "world"
46 > > file might work.
47 > Yes, maybe.
48 > And that's why am I asking.
49
50 > > At some point, the long kernel series revisions are usually
51 > > only about tweaking a few given features.
52
53 > And bugs.
54
55 (um "tweaks are another way of saying bug/feature fix/stabilization).
58 > My situation, is not so complicated hopefully :P
59
60 Do tell the specifics.... As some who has files of thousands of kernel
61 build notes and goes back into kernel sources, as far back as 2.0
62 series, mostly for embedded reasons:
63
64 Dude, I'm scratching my head, wondering whats up with your need.......
67 James