From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:37:48
1 on 01/29/2014 05:59 PM James wrote the following:
2
3 >>> Once the newer kernel series come out, the newer versions
4 >>> of a series (usually) slow way down on being delivered.
5 >> Not necessarily, if some devs are maintaining a series as "long term",
6 >> which, I think, is the case for the 3.10.X series (if I am not wrong).
7 >
8 > Long term kernel series usually have one key guy (Cox historically) versus
9 > thousands of devs work on things for new/latest/upcoming kernel releases. I
10 > am a big fan of Alan Cox, as many of us are, and he is quite prolific
11 > to be sure, but what you are saying, makes you appear, ignorant
12 > of kernel development processes.
13
14 I know I am mostly ignorant of kernel development processes.
15
16 > I only use Alan Cox, as an example;
17 > I have no idea who the long-term kernel maintainer is now, but
18 > historically it's been somebody with a vested interest, or
19 > some poor-unappreciated sap....imho.
20
21 Googling about kernel maintainer for long term 3.10, I found the
22 following page:
23 http://kroah.com/log/blog/2013/08/04/longterm-kernel-3-dot-10/
24 Would he (Greg) be the one?
27 > The purpose of the long-term maintained kernels is in-fact and indeed,
28 > so that folks do not have to change kernels often.
29
30 Yea, maybe, but not my case though (see below).
31
32 > Those features that
33 > are fixed in a kernel series, are also "pulled-forward" into
34 > the newer kernels series. FEW have valid reasons not to upgrade to
35 > the newer series of stable kernels.
36
37 Right, unless ...
40 > Sometimes folks have to stay with a kernel series, because a vendor
41 > binary patch forces them into this situation.
42
43 That's my case, ie Nvidia drivers for a relatively old hardware (AGP
44 Graphics).
45
46 > In that case, the
47 > vendor supplied patch might not even work (compile) with newer kernels
48 > in a particular series. Commercial vendor support of a binary
49 > wedged into a linux kernel, is fraught with all sorts of issues
50 > quite often. Staying within a given kernel series is easier (mostly)
51 > for companies to maintain a binary patch, with a poorly qualified
52 > (learning?) noob kernel hacker, imho.....
53
54 Bingo :)
57 > If you want further help, you have to precisely define "why"
58 > you need to stay in a particular kernel series, but yet
59 > you need to be notified, immediately,
60
61 Well, I didn't say or mean "immediately", but, you know...make our time
62 easier... maybe invest it better...
63
64 > without expending some extra effort yourself?
65 <snip>
66 >
67 >> My situation, is not so complicated hopefully :P
68 >
69 > Do tell the specifics.. I'm scratching my head, wondering whats up with your need.......
70
71 Nothing special. I am merely a home user, maintaining a few PCs. That's all.
72
73 Thanks James :)