From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Process on server, print on client
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:35:35
1 On Friday 01 February 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm currently processing orders one by one and I'd like to increase
3 > automation. I'm currently submitting an order number from my
4 > desktop to my server via firefox, and manually opening and printing
5 > the resultant receipt and shipping label. How would you guys
6 > suggest I set this up to batch so that I can process all orders
7 > with one click and have the resultant receipts and shipping labels
8 > print
9 > automatically, all at once? The printing part is what I'm having
10 > difficulty conceptualizing because I do all of my programming on
11 > the server side and the printing needs to happen on the client
12 > side. Not sure how to get those two working together. Both
13 > systems run Gentoo.
14
15 Printing always on the same client? That's easy. CUPS can print over
16 the network. Configure a queue for that client on the server.
17
18 If printing is supposed to happen on a variety of clients, that's a
19 wee bit more complex. Configure a queue for each client. Now you must
20 use some middleware (cgi, php, ...) on the server that figures out
21 from which client (IP) the request has come. Use the appropriate
22 queue. Shouldn't be too difficult.
23
24 Uwe
27 Informal Linux Group Namibia: