From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:52:54
1 Am 16.08.2015 um 18:45 schrieb walt:
2 > I've been seeing this keyboard problem for the past few weeks: after
3 > running some command from a bash prompt (haven't tried zsh yet) the
4 > keyboard stops working. Almost like somebody unplugged the keyboard
5 > from its usb port (except that the LED on the keyboard stays lit so I
6 > know the power is still on).
7
8 I don't have this issue, but I guess you're using a terminal emulator in
9 a desktop environment.
10
11 Which terminal emulator and which desktop environment are you using?
12 Maybe the problem is just that the terminal emulator takes the control
13 over the keyboard or the desktop environment gives the keyboard controls
14 to the terminal emulator.
15
16 > There are no error messages in journalctl
17
18 That doesn't mean much.
19
20 > When I unplug the keyboard from the usb port I can see the kernel
21 > recognize the unplug event, which makes me think that it's not a
22 > kernel/usb bug or a broken wire in the keyboard cable.
23 >
24 > When I re-plug the keyboard into a usb port the keyboard immediately
25 > starts working normally again until the next time I happen to trigger
26 > the problem by running some black-magical command from a command
27 > prompt. There is no particular command that causes it--it can be any
28 > arbitrary command AFAICT.
29
30 Could theoretically also be a bug in systemd and/or udev? That wouldn't
31 surprise me. And it wouldn't surprise me if Poettering and Sievers would
32 blame the kernel developers for it again if it is a systemd and/or udev bug.