From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A quick test of su [SOLVED]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:40:42
1 On 01/19/2010 10:26 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 01/19/2010 07:55 PM, walt wrote:
3 >> On 01/18/2010 04:41 PM, walt wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Here is what I see on both machines:
6 >>>
7 >>> $su
8 >>> Password: <===== I type Ctrl-d here
9 >>> Segmentation fault
10 >>>
11 >>> I've traced this problem to the pam_ssh package, which is supposed
12 >>> to return a charstring containing the typed password, but it instead
13 >>> returns a null pointer when I type Ctrl-d. Calamity ensues.
14 >>
15 >> The key here is the pam_ssh package, which apparently the rest of you
16 >> don't use for authentication.
17 >
18 > Just a quick question: what do you need PAM for? No it's not a rhetorical question. I always wondered what PAM is good for; to find out, I completely removed everything PAM related from my system ("-pam" in make.conf and then rebuild everything and then
19 > depclean.) The system works exactly the same as before. So I'm left wondering what PAM was doing in the first place?
20
21 I'm no expert on PAM, but I've seen it used on every linux distribution
22 that I've tried over the years. In the case I just described, I used it
23 so I can identify myself with my ssh key, which is much more secure than
24 a password. So, in general, pam is used to set security policy for how
25 users can log in, change their passwords, etc. I'm not sure how I would
26 have added ssh key authentication without pam. It's a good question.