From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A quick test of su [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:27:24
1 On 01/19/2010 07:55 PM, walt wrote:
2 > On 01/18/2010 04:41 PM, walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> Here is what I see on both machines:
5 >>
6 >> $su
7 >> Password: <===== I type Ctrl-d here
8 >> Segmentation fault
9 >>
10 >> I've traced this problem to the pam_ssh package, which is supposed
11 >> to return a charstring containing the typed password, but it instead
12 >> returns a null pointer when I type Ctrl-d. Calamity ensues.
13 >
14 > The key here is the pam_ssh package, which apparently the rest of you
15 > don't use for authentication.
16
17 Just a quick question: what do you need PAM for? No it's not a
18 rhetorical question. I always wondered what PAM is good for; to find
19 out, I completely removed everything PAM related from my system ("-pam"
20 in make.conf and then rebuild everything and then depclean.) The system
21 works exactly the same as before. So I'm left wondering what PAM was
22 doing in the first place?