From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHClient Woes - No Modules Loaded?
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 04:51:13
1 On Sunday 01 October 2006 13:48, Jan-Hendrik Zab wrote:
2 > On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:44:42 -0700
3 >
4 > Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Proof:
6 > > lsauron@the-dark-tower:~$ grep -nr "dhclient" ./archival
7 > > lsauron@the-dark-tower:~$
8 > >
9 > > I have been getting annoyed at dhcpcd, which will take 180 seconds
10 > > to ping even if there isn't a networking cable in my NIC. I use a
11 > > laptop, so you can easily speculate how I got so annoyed.
12 > >
13 > > I know that Kubuntu had the ability to detect whether there was a
14 > > cable in my laptop and ping accordingly. I looked at my Kubuntu
15 > > workstation and found that it's using dhclient. I installed dhcpd
16 > > on my laptop and tried my best to make it work. I got the
17 > > following:
18 >
19 > [snip]
20 >
21 > Well, maybe I just misunderstood you, anyway... You could try pump
22 > (the fastest/best dhcp client I know of :-) and ifplug, the latter
23 > starts the wired ethernet interfaces when they get a link.
24
25 Back with DHCPCD, but I haven't unmerged dhclient yet ; )
26
27 I'm going to take your word and try ifplug, however, I installed it and
28 it doesn't work. Still pings up /dev/null for all it's doing. I even
29 went to rc-update and had it start at boot, though that didn't work.
30
31 My guess is that it's trying to use net.lo (the loopback device) and
32 thinks that that's plugged in therefore it tries to ping on everything
33 else.
34
35 Any suggestions?
36
37 > PPS.
38 > The iface_eth interface is completely out of date, take a _very_ good
39 > look at `/etc/conf.d/net.example'.
40
41 I did, I updated it as best I could.
44 http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/