From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is lshw reporting correctly?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 09:14:59
1 On Tuesday 23 Dec 2014 21:53:07 Poison BL. wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > This is what I see when I plugged in two memory modules:
4 > > =======================================================
5 > >
6 > > *-memory
9 > > physical id: 2f
10 > > slot: System board or motherboard
11 > > size: 16GiB
12 > >
13 > > *-bank:0
16 > > product: Array1_PartNumber1
17 > > vendor: A1_Manufacturer1
18 > > physical id: 0
19 > > serial: A1_SerNum1
20 > > slot: DIMM_A1
21 > > size: 8GiB
22 > > width: 64 bits
23 > > clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
24 > >
25 > > *-bank:1
28 > > product: Array1_PartNumber0
29 > > vendor: A1_Manufacturer0
30 > > physical id: 1
31 > > serial: A1_SerNum0
32 > > slot: DIMM_A2
33 > >
34 > > *-bank:2
37 > > product: F3-2133C9-8GXH
38 > > vendor: Undefined
39 > > physical id: 2
40 > > serial: 00000000
41 > > slot: DIMM_B1
42 > > size: 8GiB
43 > > width: 64 bits
44 > > clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
45 > >
46 > > *-bank:3
49 > > product: Array1_PartNumber3
50 > > vendor: A1_Manufacturer3
51 > > physical id: 3
52 > > serial: A1_SerNum3
53 > > slot: DIMM_B2
54 > >
55 > > ========================================
56 > >
57 > > These were bought as a set from Amazon:
58 > >
59 > > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripjaws-PC17000-2133MHz-Memory-Platforms/dp/B007C
60 > > OT274/
61 > >
62 > > but as you can see above only the second module reports a product code
63 > > (product: F3-2133C9-8GXH), while the first module shows
64 > > "Array1_PartNumber1".
65 > >
66 > > Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the memory module(s), the
67 > > MoBo, or even the lshw command?
68 > >
69 > > --
70 > > Regards,
71 > > Mick
72 >
73 > Primarily, I suspect that anything over about 1600MHz is going to
74 > require poking the bios (or uefi) to actually run it at its spec'd
75 > clock (enabling following the XMP profile defined by the ram, if the
76 > mobo directly supports doing so, is usually all it takes), otherwise
77 > it down-steps to either 1333 or 1600 as 'standard' defined speeds for
78 > ddr3.
79
80 I've set the UEFI memory menu to 'Automatic', so I expect that when I start
81 compiling stuff it will increase to higher settings.
84 > As for why it's not reporting the product, vendor, and s/n's
85 > properly, I'm not sure. I'd try swapping them to see if the issue
86 > moves with them, but as long as they're actually able to run stable
87 > (and reliably) at their spec'd rates, and they really are the sizes
88 > they claim, I'd be inclined not to care whether the nvram values
89 > beyond the speed profiles are read properly.
90
91 I've swapped them and I can see that lshw displays exactly the same
92 information, so it seems like a MoBo issue. Hmmm ...
93
94 I know now that the memory is OK. I'll finish the gentoo installation and
95 then I will flash the UEFI firmware with a more recent version to see if it is
96 caused by dodgy firmware.
97
98 Thanks for your help.
99 --