From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is lshw reporting correctly?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 21:53:16
1 On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > This is what I see when I plugged in two memory modules:
3 > =======================================================
4 > *-memory
6 > physical id: 2f
7 > slot: System board or motherboard
8 > size: 16GiB
9 > *-bank:0
11 > product: Array1_PartNumber1
12 > vendor: A1_Manufacturer1
13 > physical id: 0
14 > serial: A1_SerNum1
15 > slot: DIMM_A1
16 > size: 8GiB
17 > width: 64 bits
18 > clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
19 > *-bank:1
21 > product: Array1_PartNumber0
22 > vendor: A1_Manufacturer0
23 > physical id: 1
24 > serial: A1_SerNum0
25 > slot: DIMM_A2
26 > *-bank:2
28 > product: F3-2133C9-8GXH
29 > vendor: Undefined
30 > physical id: 2
31 > serial: 00000000
32 > slot: DIMM_B1
33 > size: 8GiB
34 > width: 64 bits
35 > clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
36 > *-bank:3
38 > product: Array1_PartNumber3
39 > vendor: A1_Manufacturer3
40 > physical id: 3
41 > serial: A1_SerNum3
42 > slot: DIMM_B2
43 > ========================================
44 >
45 > These were bought as a set from Amazon:
46 >
47 > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripjaws-PC17000-2133MHz-Memory-Platforms/dp/B007COT274/
48 >
49 > but as you can see above only the second module reports a product code
50 > (product: F3-2133C9-8GXH), while the first module shows "Array1_PartNumber1".
51 >
52 > Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the memory module(s), the MoBo,
53 > or even the lshw command?
54 >
55 > --
56 > Regards,
57 > Mick
58
59 Primarily, I suspect that anything over about 1600MHz is going to
60 require poking the bios (or uefi) to actually run it at its spec'd
61 clock (enabling following the XMP profile defined by the ram, if the
62 mobo directly supports doing so, is usually all it takes), otherwise
63 it down-steps to either 1333 or 1600 as 'standard' defined speeds for
64 ddr3. As for why it's not reporting the product, vendor, and s/n's
65 properly, I'm not sure. I'd try swapping them to see if the issue
66 moves with them, but as long as they're actually able to run stable
67 (and reliably) at their spec'd rates, and they really are the sizes
68 they claim, I'd be inclined not to care whether the nvram values
69 beyond the speed profiles are read properly.
72 Poison [BLX]
73 Joshua M. Murphy