From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Proxy questions
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:13:24
1 On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 06:14:22PM +0000, Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 24 Jan 2012 17:08:43 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > I know, in general, what proxies do -- caching, filtering, and
4 > > bypassing firewalls. I have even written a couple of very special
5 > > purpose proxies. Now I need one for work, and don't realy want to
6 > > write another custom special purpose when it seems there must be a
7 > > canned one which can do the job.
8 > >
9 > > We have some vendors who transact business over special ports with
10 > > custom protocols. We pay for these connections, and we only have two
11 > > of them, good enough for QA, but when a developer needs to test code,
12 > > they have to drag their machine over to QA and schedule time with one
13 > > of these connections. What we need is a proxy which can take any
14 > > number of connections on our side and funnel everything into one or
15 > > two vendor connections. I don't know enough of the proxy jargon to
16 > > know how to describe it. I imagine some kind of NAT. No filtering or
17 > > caching; firewall penetration will be taken care of elsewhere.
18 > >
19 > > Any suggestions, or proxy education hints?
20 >
21 > I'm not entirely clear of your use case scenarios and the constraints you are
22 > trying to address with a proxy (e.g. why the developer does not connect
23 > directly to the vendors port(s) to access their service? ) but I'll guess that
24
25 Because if the devs connect directly to the vendor, they will take
26 over the limited connections we are allowed. Thus they need
27 throttling and/or some kind of NAT.
28
29 > you probably need a reverse proxy/load balancer arrangement - something like
30 > pound, portfusion, or even nginx? BTW, did I mention apache mod_proxy? I am
31 > not sure what authentication arrangements you need to access your vendors
32 > ports, if you have VPNs or other secure tunnels between your site and the
33 > vendors', but let's say I'd read up on reverse proxies as a start.
34 >
35 > This should make the transaction transparent for your devs, they won't
36 > necessarily know which vendor they end up with after they hit your URL, but I
37 > am not sure if it will satisfactorily address the issue of scheduling time for
38 > a connection with your vendors at times of high demand. Once ports or vendor
39 > service limitations are reached the connections will eventually become
40 > saturated.
41
42 I don't think saturation is a problem with the kind of dev work we do;
43 our production systems handle hundreds of thousands of transactions an
44 hour over a single connection. The real problem is that if devs grab
45 that connection, production would stall immediately, so we have a
46 separate connection for QA which devs will have to share without
47 hogging; thus some proxy to funnel all requests into the single
48 channel. Altho there is some possibility of the QA channel turning
49 into two, that still needs to be shared amongst a dozen devs and QA.
50
51 I'll look into all those buzzwords :-)
55 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
56 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
57 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o