From: Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-compatible wifi GUI?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:07:29
1 On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:46:07PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > The DHL man has just been & taken my MacBook away to have its ego
5 > stroked by professionally-trained Apple engineers. I thought in the
6 > meantime I might try living the Linux lifestyle for a few days & have
7 > (literally) dusted off my (not literarily) black & white Thinkpad.
8 >
9 > I've only used WEP so far, not wpa-supplicant, but I supposed I'd better
10 > get the latter set up. So in light of that inexperience, please forgive
11 > me if this is a dumb question, but are there any GUI wifi apps that sit
12 > in the system tray, scan and let you connect to available networks, and
13 > are also compatible with Gentoo's configuration files?
14 >
15 > Last time I used wifi under Gentoo one added the network name &
16 > encryption key to /etc/conf.d/net (or /etc/conf.d/wireless) and the
17 > network scripts did the rest. Ideally, then, I'd like a GUI that scanned
18 > for networks & added the details to the conf.d file. Is this a
19 > reasonable expectation?
20 >
21 > BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.
22 >
23 > Stroller.
24
25 There's network-manager, it uses it's own config files, though.
28 hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR