From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unclear (to me) errors from portage
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:20:45
1 On 09/08/2014 10:20, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 9 August 2014 09:53:01 CEST, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 09/08/2014 08:35, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>>> Test vms get updated when I feel like it. Some of them never :-)
5 >>> Hope they are behind a firewall then, wouldn't want to know how quick
6 >> a 2 year
7 >>> old VM gets 0wned if online.
10 >> They run locally in virtualbox on the laptop, and are fired up when
11 >> needed. Like for example when I have to figure out wtf exactly did
12 >> ubuntu do to munin today to break it *again*
13 >
14 > I try to avoid ubuntu.
15 > Tried it a few years ago. Looked ok, but didn't like the convoluted way to do a full update and ended up putting Gentoo on the netbook.
16
17 you mean
18
19 apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get
20 autoremove
21
22 ?
23
24 Yeah, that drives me nuts too.
25
26 But it's better than Red Hat (dependency hell) and makes the office
27 staff workstations easy to admin (desktop stuff JustWorks for what they
28 need to do).
29
30 Plus, I refuse under any circumstances to run Gentoo on production
31 unless it's backed by a huge build farm or I have a large cluster that
32 are all identical and have very special needs.
33
34 Gentoo has it's uses cases, but a loose collection of servers none of
35 which are identical is not it.
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com