From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:05:46
1 > > > As I have previously posted about, my host sent me an email a few days
2 > > > ago stating that support tickets for 5,000-6,000 of their clients had
3 > > > been broken into. I checked my records and found that my root
4 > > > password had previously been submitted in a support ticket. I then
5 > > > decided I needed to reinstall my system.
6 > > >
7 > > > I requested that my host allow me access to a second machine for 2-5
8 > > > days while I switch over to a clean system, after that I would turn
9 > > > the old system over to them and continue with the new system.
10 > > >
11 > > > My request was denied! I'm blown away by this. Was I asking too
12 > > > much?
13 > > >
14 > > > - Grant
15 > >
16 > > Would it be unreasonable to tell us who this host is? I want to make
17 > > sure I don't host any sites on their system; if they can't secure their
18 > > work tickets, what makes anybody think they can secure anything else?
19 >
20 > I'm taking a guess it's these guys:
21 > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/19/layered_technologies_breach_disclosure/
22 >
23 > - Noven
24
25 Bingo. They sent me another message with an offer that could be what
26 I asked for. It was vague. I replied and lookie here:
27
28 ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
29 "|/usr/local/sbin/cerberus /usr/local/etc/config.xml FATAL
30 /var/log/cerberus.log"
31
32 I guess that means they're working on the system. I'll try to send again.
33
34 - Grant
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list