From: Novensiles divi Flamen <noven@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:41:17
1 On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 02:24:04 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:37:23 -0700
3 >
4 > Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > As I have previously posted about, my host sent me an email a few days
8 > > ago stating that support tickets for 5,000-6,000 of their clients had
9 > > been broken into. I checked my records and found that my root
10 > > password had previously been submitted in a support ticket. I then
11 > > decided I needed to reinstall my system.
12 > >
13 > > I requested that my host allow me access to a second machine for 2-5
14 > > days while I switch over to a clean system, after that I would turn
15 > > the old system over to them and continue with the new system.
16 > >
17 > > My request was denied! I'm blown away by this. Was I asking too
18 > > much?
19 > >
20 > > - Grant
21 >
22 > Would it be unreasonable to tell us who this host is? I want to make
23 > sure I don't host any sites on their system; if they can't secure their
24 > work tickets, what makes anybody think they can secure anything else?
25
26 I'm taking a guess it's these guys:
27 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/19/layered_technologies_breach_disclosure/
28