From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DST didn't happen: quickinstall doc is wrong...
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:15:49
1 On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 16:28 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > > Perhaps the constant nagging from the timezone-data package
3 > > when it's emerged
4 >
5 > When it's emerged as part of an update with 30 or 40 other
6 > packages, it's pretty easy to miss things like that.
7 >
8 This has long been a complaint among users of portage,including myself.
9 The portage devs have done work to alleviate most of these problems with
10 the ELOG system. I really recommend taking advantage of it. With it I
11 have portage info and warnings emailed to me and I have to say it has
12 really helped me become aware of what is changing on my system.
13
14 > > as well as the system when it's booted
15 >
16 > My computers are generally only booted as a result of a power
17 > failure, and I'm not usually there to watch them boot.
18 >
19 > > isn't enough?
20 >
21 > Apparently not, if so many people had problems with it.
22
23 I agree with you that the Handbook needs to be updated, but in general
24 it's always best to pay attention to what the system is telling you.
25 The portage tree is always going to be updated faster than the Handbook
26 and four years of experience has shown me that the Handbooks is always
27 at least a little behind reality. I think the authors work hard, but
28 they're always going to be chasing a moving target.
29
30 Also, people who do not frequently do installs are less likely to read
31 the Handbook so it's best to let "real life" supersede what's written in
32 the Handbook.
35 Albert W. Hopkins
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list