From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Only two people in the gentoo world is having this problem?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:40:34
1 On 3/11/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > to determine whether this package provides it. I cannot do that as I
3 > don't have lzma-utils on my systems anymore.
4
5 Well, that can be sort of done with, e.g.:
6
7 ebuild /usr/portage/app-arch/lzma-utils/lzma-utils-4.32.7.ebuild install
8
9 It will run emerge phases until the system creates the installation
10 image, but it won't merge the files into their proper locations in the
11 file system. Listing files in the image directory shows all the five
12 liblzmadec.* files (or symlinks) that would get installed.
13
14 > If you don't have lzma-utils on your system anymore then erase
15 > /usr/lib64/liblzmadec.la by hand and run revdep-rebuild -ip again and
16 > see if it's clean.
17
18 Yes, this whole issue smells like an overblown orphaned .la-file
19 issue. Package manager cannot help much with such, and IMHO it's not a
20 bug (well maybe in the package manager, but let's not start that
21 flamewar ;) ).
22
23 Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
24 too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
25 it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
26 later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
27 .la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
28 .la-file (or use lafilefixer?).
29
30 Still, there is something funny with paludis, as so many people using
31 it seem to have so many problems with orphaned libtool archive files.
32 Ahem, even the warning from exherbo front page is gone nowadays. Is it
33 production quality now? o.O
36 Arttu V.