From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:57:28
1 For a long time I have had in make.conf
2
3 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=5"
4 MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"
5
6 (for previous processors the 5 was 3).
7
8 It seems that this configuration fails for several packages (or tickles
9 bugs in their ebuilds/Makefiles).
10
11 Lately whenever a build fails I change to
12
13 MAKEOPTS="--jobs=1"
14
15 and this very often "fixes" the problem.
16
17 It is not clear that any time saved by having jobs=5 compensates for
18 having to redo builds. So my question is do people
19
20 1. keep jobs=1 in MAKEOPTS
21 2. have jobs=n in MAKEOPTS but degrade on error as I do
22 3. have jobs=n and file bugs when it fails.
23
24 thanks,
25 allan
26
27 PS I do not change EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS