From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel2.6.33: ATA failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED, hard resetting link
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 03:39:51
1 On 26 Mar 2010, at 22:21, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Well, I was thinking more about something like alteriong IOH/ICH
4 > voltage, or whichever voltage powers the SATA controllers. It has 12
5 > SATA headers on this motherboard but I don't know how much it can
6 > realistically handle at once. Hopefully all of my disks. :)
7
8 Honestly, I'm not sure that I'd do that.
9
10 If I thought it was a power issue - and that seems quite a reasonable
11 possibility - I would replace the PSU first.
12
13 What PSU are you using at the moment? Brand / wattage?
14
15 I think these are probably overkill:
16
17 http://www.bluepoint.net/AKAPSU066
18 http://www.bluepoint.net/AKAPSU071
19
20 However, if you're using a 450W PSU at the moment, you can get an OCZ
21 branded 600W for less than £50. I tend to be suspicious of cheap
22 unbranded and Wong Fu 350W - 450W PSUs. Often a 350W PSU from a
23 manufacturer with a half-decent brand (eg Trust) will be better than a
24 no-name 450W PSU.
25
26 It seems important not only the actual wattage that the PSU gives out
27 (measured with an analogue-needle multimeter) but also how stable that
28 voltage is, how smooth, consistent and reliable it is. Unless your PSU
29 is absolute top-notch quality, try to under-utilise it.
30
31 With 6 x hard-drives, I would be generous with supplying power - I
32 think a 600W PSU would easily be justified.
33
34 Stroller.