From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choice of TLD for internal network
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:45:41
1 On Monday, 18 December 2017 09:49:41 GMT Adam Carter wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hello list,
6 > >
7 > > I've been running Linux systems since 1994, calling my private LAN mynet
8 > > (bowdlerised). Now I come to install neth server on one machine, it
9 > > insists that I tell it a domain name with at least two dots in it.
10 >
11 > That's dumb, and may be an omen on what the rest of it is like.
12
13 Yes, I've been forming a similar impression while wrestling with the
14 installation. I found I couldn't even touch the partitioning setup without
15 causing it to fail - and so I couldn't see what it was going to do; I just
16 had to give it the whole disk to play with, with no others present like USB.
17 The progress bar stayed static throughout each installation phase, switching
18 back and forth at the end of each phase. Then, the initial config has to be
19 done in a browser on another box, after signing in to the web page as root.
20 The docs don't say that.
21
22 I'd been encouraged to try Neth by a score of 9/10 in a certain magazine
23 known to one of our contributors here.
24
25 > You can add dotted hostnames to your mynet zone file.
26
27 That's a good idea, but it doesn't matter any more: I've evicted Neth and
28 reverted to good ol' Gentoo. Coincidentally, I'd recently also ended my
29 subscription to the magazine.
32 Regards,
33 Peter.