From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:44:50
1 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
2 > 2010/8/27 J. Roeleveld<joost@××××××××.org>:
3 >
4 >> On Friday 27 August 2010 09:49:41 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Hi folks,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I been putting this off but it looks like the newer kernels are going to
11 >>>> push me to changing this real soon. I have a older system, Abit NF7 2.0
12 >>>> motherboard with the older IDE drives. I'm still using the older IDE
13 >>>> drivers. This is what I have currently:
14 >>>>
15 >>>> hda Actual hard drive OS on this
16 >>>> hdb Actual hard drive Not in use
17 >>>> hdc Actual hard drive home partition
18 >>>> hdd DVD burner Duh! It's a burner.
19 >>>> sda Actual hard drive connected through a SATA PCI card. Misc stuff.
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>> So, hda has the Gentoo OS on it and hdc is my /hone directory. I have
23 >>>> videos, mp3's and various other data on sda. Currently hdb is not being
24 >>>> used, since for those who keep up with my threads would know, it is the
25 >>>> one that is terribly slow. Something along the lines of 10Mbs/sec or
26 >>>> something of that nature. It's just hard to get out of the case right
27 >>>> now and I can't get to it with a hammer either. :/
28 >>>>
29 >>> You can at least disconnect it then. Right now all it does and eat
30 >>> power, heat the case and make noise :-/
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>>> My theory is something like this: hda will become sda; hdb will become
34 >>>> sdb; hdc will become sdc; hdd will become sdd; and sda will become sde.
35 >>>> Would that be a logical expectation?
36 >>>>
37 >>> I'd say sda will stay as is, hda will become sdb, and so forth.
38 >>>
39 > This entirely depends on the way your BIOS orders your drivers, as far
40 > as I know. It could be either way. But, we all know how flexible grub
41 > is. You can just use TAB to autocomplete and try. All you need to boot
42 > is your root fs, after that fdisk -l will reveal all the info you
43 > need. fstab is another story, that might cost you an extra reboot into
44 > a livecd to fix it.
45 >
46 > But, using labels as said will fix all the problems (beforehand) for
47 > you, as said.
52 I have heard of the labels before but never used them. I need to google
53 that and see how that is done.
54
55 Another thing that I hadn't thought of, grub. I didn't even think about
56 grub would have to be edited. That would have been interesting when I
57 tried to boot up.
58
59 Thanks.
60