From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 02:05:10
1 On 08/28/2010 10:42 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Alex Schuster wrote:
3 >> Dale writes:
4 >>
5 >>> It would be nice if something like *fdisk could edit the labels tho.
6 >>> It would be so much easier. I didn't see anything in the man pages
7 >>> tho.
8 >> I'd like this, too. cfdisk displays them, but is not abel to edit.
9 >>
10 >>> I looked into LVM a good while ago. It's just to much for me to keep
11 >>> up with since I just have a desktop system here. It has its good
12 >>> points but just way overkill for what I have here.
13 >> It's not that complicated. In a nutshell:
14 >>
15 >> Choose the partitions you want to use for LVM, and prepare them to be
16 >> physical volumes:
17 >> pvcreate /dev/sda[678]
18 >>
19 >> Create a volume group out of these partitions:
20 >> vgcreate myvg /dev/sda[678]
21 >>
22 >> Create logical volumes in this volume group:
23 >> lvcreate -L 5G -n lvm1 myvg
24 >> lvcreate -L 2G -n lvm2 myvg
25 >>
26 >> Use these logical volumes just as disk partitions:
27 >>
28 >> mke2fs -j -L fs_on_lvm /dev/myvg/lvm1
29 >> mount /dev/myg/lvm1 /mnt/fs_on_lvm
30 >>
31 >> The file system is too small? Just extend its size by 1G, without
32 >> unmouning:
33 >>
34 >> lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/lvm1
35 >>
36 >> The volume groups is getting full, no space to add LVMs? Add other
37 >> partitions. If you like, even from a 2nd drive:
38 >>
39 >> pvcreate /dev/sdb5
40 >> vgextend myvg /dev/sdb5
41 >>
42 >> So, it's of course more complicated than just firing up cfdisk, create
43 >> partitions and file systems on them, but you have much more flexibility.
44 >> Once you have LVM, you do not have to care what the actual device
45 >> names of
46 >> your drives are. If sda becomes sdb and vice versa, no problem, and
47 >> nothing to worry about. LVM does not use the device name, it scans each
48 >> partition and uses the LVM UUIDs on them to identify what is what.
49 >>
50 >> Wonko
53 > Since I finally got this thing settled with partition sizes, that's
54 > pretty complicated. I have root, /boot, /home, portage and a data
55 > partition for misc. junk. I doubt it will change any in the near future.
56 >
57 > I did read up on it one time a while back. It's neat when you have to
58 > add drives and resize things but still a bit much for a little desktop.
59
60 I'd stay away from LVM. I started using it on a Debian Lenny machine
61 and performance went down the drain. For example, deleting a 3GB file
62 was almost instant and now it takes like 15 seconds. It's almost as if
63 with LVM, deleting a file means writing 0 all over the 3GB first :-/