From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID/LVM machine - install questions
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:27:18
1 On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:38 AM, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht schrieb:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >
6 > [...]
7 >>
8 >> 3) Wife's new desktop
9 >
10 > [...]
11 >>
12 >> I want high reliability
13 >
14 > [...]
15 >>
16 >> The most important task of this machine is to keep data safe.
17 >
18 > [...]
19 >>
20 >> Thanks,
21 >> Mark
24 > Hi Mark,
25 >
26 > For me it sounds like those points just don't fit together ;-)
27 >
28 > Regards
29 > kh
32 <Smiling broadly...> :-) Yeah.. Well, keeping my wife's data safe
33 keeps me happy. :-)
34
35 So the chassis and drives for this 1st machine are on order. 6 1TB
36 green drives. Now I just need to decide what sort of RAID to use. I
37 don't need much speed writing so I'm thinking maybe a 3 drive RAID1
38 setup with a hot spare managed using mdadm and then LVM on top of it.
39
40 The main backup data will be coming from another machine I'm building
41 that runs a new i7 980x 12 core processor with 24GB of DRAM. That
42 machine will run 5 copies of VirtualBox/Windows 7 using 2 cores + 4GB
43 DRAM for each, leaving 2 cores and 4GB for Gentoo as the host OS. Each
44 Windows instance crunches numbers 24/7 and needs to be backed up once
45 a day with each backup being about 20GB. I'll move approximately 100GB
46 across the network each night to the 1st machine at least once a day,
47 possibly more. This data needs to be very safe so once every week it
48 goes offsite also.
49
50 Other than that the 1st machine will also be a MythTV backend server.
51 That's a pretty light load hardware wise but uses a little computing
52 muscle to do commercial detection and the like.
53
54 And then yes, my wife can use it as her main desktop as most of the
55 above work takes place overnight with Myth being in the evening and
56 backups of machine #1 occurring at 4AM, etc.
57
58 - Mark