From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something started muting the sound
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 14:40:16
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Robin Atwood <robin@×××××.org> wrote:
2 > I have a Thinkpad T410 where, after I installed Gentoo on it, everything
3 > "just worked (TM)". The sound is via the bog-standard Intel chips on the
4 > mobo and uses the hda_intel drivers. I didn't use the TP for a long time,
5 > just periodically updating Gentoo, but when I eventually did try to use it
6 > the sound was muted. This means I shut down the X server to remove
7 > complications from the desktop and from the console aplay doesn't produce
8 > any sound. Everything looks normal, driver modules loaded, alsamixer shows
9 > the usual output, channels all active. I booted to a windows partition and
10 > the sound works, so the hardware is OK. The very weird thing is if I put the
11 > TP to sleep with acpitool and wake it up again, the sound works for about 60
12 > seconds and then dies. There is nothing in the message log at all when this
13 > happens. I upgraded the kernel but that didn't help.
17 > This problem has been dragging on for some years and I am contemplating a
18 > complete re-install from scratch. But before I do that does anyone have any
19 > idea what I could try?
23 > TIA
24 >
25 > Robin
29 > --
30 >
31 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
32 >
33 > Robin Atwood.
37 > "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
38 >
39 > Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
40 >
41 > from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
42 >
43 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
47 What's the output of these command lines?
48 (1). lspci -vnn | sed '/Audio/,/driver/!d'
49
50 (2). grep -Ei '^[^#]*(snd|hda)' linux/.config
51
52 (3). rc-update show | grep alsa
53
54 (4). grep HDA /var/log/dmesg
55
56 (5). Postinst message for alsa-utils:
57 pkg_postinst() {
58 if [[ -z ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]; then
59 elog
60 elog "To take advantage of the init script, and automate the process of"
61 elog "saving and restoring sound-card mixer levels you should"
62 elog "add alsasound to the boot runlevel. You can do this as"
63 elog "root like so:"
64 elog "# rc-update add alsasound boot"
65 ewarn
66 ewarn "The ALSA core should be built into the kernel or loaded through other"
67 ewarn "means. There is no longer any modular auto(un)loading in alsa-utils."
68 fi
69 }
70
71 (6). Also, if you check out the Gentoo wiki article on how to set up ALSA.
72 See if there's anything you might've overlooked when setting it up:
73 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA