From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Experiences with gtk3-nocsd?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 04:28:11
1 On 2015-09-30, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 16:09:00 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 2015-09-29, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > I'm sick and tired of the Gnome "CSD" nonsense which appears to be a
8 >> > concerted effort to break gtk+ apps on all desktops other than very
9 >> > specific configurations of Gnome desktops. To the Gnome developer's
10 >> > credit, they seem to have been quite successful in that effort.
11 >
12 > +1
13 >
14 >> The app that's causing all the pain is evince (if I could abandon
15 >> acroread, I wouldn't need elevety-hundred packages built with 32-bit
16 >> support).
17 >
18 > +1
19 >
20 >> I just found atril, which is more-or-less a fork of evince
21 >> sans all all the gtk3/Gnome CSD BS. For now, I think I'll just ditch
22 >> evince.
23 >
24 > +1
25 >
26 >> Now if only there was "print current view" option in atril....
27 >
28 > When I click on the "File" drop-down menu (top-left corner of the atril
29 > window) and choose the "Print" item, I get a pop-up dialog widget that
30 > lets me configure a bunch of settings before the document is sent to
31 > the printer. Included in those settings is "Print current page" (as
32 > opposed to "Print all", or I can type in the page numbers to print).
33 >
34 > I get exactly the same pop-up "Print" widget whether I'm printing from
35 > atril, web browser, libreoffice, or this email client (claws).
36
37 Yep, it's part of the GTK toolkit, so if atril maintainers wanted to
38 add a "print current view" option (so that I could ditch acroread),
39 I'm guessing it would be a fair bit of work: they'd probably have to
40 roll their own printer dialog from scratch instead of using the canned
41 one. :/
42
43 [Actually, I don't recall ever using evince or atril for filling out
44 PDF forms -- so that might be another reason I'd have to keep acroread
45 around.]
48 Grant