From: Lee <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 38.1.0 :-(
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 03:30:51
1 On Jul 30, 2015 11:23 AM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello, Gentoo.
4 >
5 > Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
6 > portage, so I merged it in.
7 >
8 > What a mistake!
9 >
10 > All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
11 > bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
12 > vanished. I'm not happy about that.
13 >
14 > The usability of the program has gone down, down, down. Not a lot seems
15 > to work properly, anymore. For example, it used to be that you could
16 > mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
17 > Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
18 > and delete it, .... Even the screen area where the current URL is
19 > displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
20 > barely read it.
21 >
22 > What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about? Destroying
23 > somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.
24 >
25 > I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
26 > recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff. Still, a
27 > recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome. Should I go
28 > back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
29 > of firefox?
30 >
31 > Has my old config/cookies/... actually been physically destroyed, or is
32 > it just being disregarded by 38.1.0? Looking at my ~/.mozilla/firefox
33 > doesn't give me much hope.
34 >
35 > Yours, in anger.
36 > --
37 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
40 Not an answer to your question, but Google - chrome is a much better
41 browser imo, and installs itself very quickly and tidily with portage.