From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 06:26:02
1 lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 April 2006 11:21 am, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> Kesara Rathnayake wrote:
4 >> > I guess Firefox is slow now because of whole lot of Extentions that we
5 >> > used today.
6 >>
7 >> To find out, I asked OP to create a blank profile. I also assume
8 >> a local problem at his side. OP should simply create a new profile
9 >> and report back.
10 >>
11 >> Alexander Skwar
12 >>
13 >> PS: I begin to hate Googlemail because of the default to use HTML
14 >> even if it is not required. Sucks. Big time.
15 >
16 > I used the GMail web interface for a long time and it defaulted to plain text
17 > for me.
18
19 This might be correct. However on new accounts, HTML is used.
20 If you don't believe me, simply create a new account, and you'll
21 see.
22
23 > If I changed to rich-text the next time it'd default to RTF.
24
25 No, it most certainly did not. Who accepts RTF?
26
27 > I
28 > changed it to plain-text and then it defaulted the next time to (you guessed
29 > it) plain text.
30
31 Yep. This means, it accepts your user settings, but it doesn't say
32 anything about the defaults.
33
34 > I don't know what you're complaining about.
35
36 I complain about HTML mails and about the fact, that Gmail defaults
37 to HTML mails, despite what you're writing.
38
39 > Perhaps you
40 > tried it at a time when they hadn't yet corrected that bug?
41
42 What bug? The bug, that the default is, that HTML mails
43 are composed?
44
45 Actually, I don't think it is a bug - I rather think, it's
46 a business decision.
47
48 > It's still in
49 > the beta stage, you know.
50
51 As if anything on Google is NOT in beta...
52
53 >> Another thing that sucks, is that HTML mails are permitted on this
54 >> list. Why not just dump the HTML part (and every other attachment)?
55 >
56 > Why not,
57
58 Makes mails larger, without adding anything useful (normally).
59 Further, it makes mails a bit harder to read and harder to
60 quote.
61
62 eg. the mail which I quoted: In HTML, it's about 1179 bytes. In
63 text/plain, it is 729 bytes. And actually, the HTML caused
64 overhead is even more, as the 2nd MIME part (the HTML part)
65 caused additional headers to be added. Those are an additional
66 378 bytes.
67
68 So, in this case, we've got a mail of (at least) 2286 bytes,
69 where 729 bytes would have been sufficient.
70
71 > if it irks you so much, make a script that will change RTF/HTML to
72 > Plaintext?
73
74 That's not a useful advice. I'd have to accept the (normally)
75 uselessly bloated mail first and then strip it. Makes no sense.
76
77 > It wouldn't be terribly difficult...
78
79 Depends.
80
81 Alexander Skwar
82 --
83 We seldom repent talking too little, but very often talking too much.
84 -- Jean de la Bruyere
85 --
86 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list