From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More emerge oddity in chroot - SOLVED
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 18:53:13
1 On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 01:47:08 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 Apr 2014 13:32:05 I wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 24 Apr 2014 13:57:19 I wrote:
4 > > > So far I've done these things:
5 > > >
6 > > > 1. Wiped the whole system and restored from backup (heavy overkill, but
7 > > > I
8 > > > wanted everything to be in the same, consistent state).
9 > > > 2. Run bad-blocks tests on all partitions (though all but / and /boot
10 > > > are
11 > > > in logical volumes - I don't know to what extent that will have affected
12 > > > the results).
13 > >
14 > > --->8
15 > >
16 > > Looking at bad-blocks again, I see from gkrellm that 'mkfs.ext4 -cc -L
17 > > Atom
18 > > /dev/vg7/atom' writes the test patterns to both the underlying physical
19 > > disks, but it only reads back from one of them
20 >
21 > ... so it isn't much use on a virtual disk.
22
23 I thought the man-page for badblocks (it's a seperate utility) actually says
24 it should be run on the physical disks?
25
26 > Well, that was a long weekend.
27 >
28 > The symptoms grew stranger and stranger, until I eventually discovered a
29 > problem with IRQ 16.
30 >
31 > /proc/interrupts includes this line:
32 > 16: 0 302525 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, nouveau
33 >
34 > The source file /usr/src/linux/kernel/irq/spurious.c says:
35 >
36 > ...and suggests booting with irqpoll.
37 >
38 > So I added irqpoll to the kernel command line. It seemed to make no
39 > difference at the time, but I haven't had any recurrence in the last two
40 > days. I see though that, according to gkrellm, I have core temps of 52 -
41 > 56C and the graphics card shows 59C. That shouldn't be hot enough to start
42 > raising spurious interrupts: the nVidia web site says to expect around 105C
43 > as a limit. Perhaps I should find a different slot for the Quadro FX580
44 > card, to separate it from the usb interface.
45
46 Always a good idea, if possible.
47 USB and Video are both heavily used items.
48
49 > So, many hours and much rebuilding later, I've installed a new chroot for
50 > the Atom and it seems to be working as expected. Actually, I reinstalled
51 > the entire system to be safe, including re-creating the physical and
52 > logical volumes on the two SATA disks.
53 >
54 > The question still remaining is what caused millions of spurious interrupts
55 > over a period of a week or so and then subsided. This is an Asus P7P55D
56 > motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D/).
57
58 USB-mouse, keyboard,harddrive,flash-stick,.... ?
59 Eg. anything plugged into USB can cause interrupts.
60
61 Also, some mainboards have additional items pre-connected to the USB-bus.
64 Joost