From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /home doesn't umount on shutdown
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:48:03
1 On Jan 15, 2013 7:59 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:09:56 +0000
4 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On the rare occasion when I reboot or shut this laptop down, it
9 > > > continually and consistently gets stuck on one of the final steps,
10 > > > to umount /home
11 > >
12 > > If you logout as your user(s) so only root is logged in, does lsof
13 > > show any hits for /home?
14 >
15 > Only 1 hit - a background ssh process that sets up a bunch of tunnels
16 > and port forwards so I can get into the corporate network for anywhere.
17 >
18 > But I was not able to make the problem re-appear in short reboot
19 > cycles. So whatever is hanging the box is something that starts up in
20 > the course of work, it doesn't appear to be there directly after a KDE
21 > login.
22 >
23 > I might have to look at my work flow closely to find all those unusual
24 > things I do in the course of work. I did manage to see the full
25 > shutdown output on the screen with these tests though - it
26 > umounts /home then umounts /boot, but the second umount message is
27 > never displayed. Seeing as it's just a regular sdb1 partition using
28 > ext2 I don;t really think it's getting stuck as the next step starts
29 > up. It's more likely to have something to do with /home
33 > > I had a similar problem with my MythTV backend failing to
34 > > unmount /var. It turned out that mythbackend was failing to shutdown
35 > > but openrc carried on trying to shutdown. If I make sure mythbackend
36 > > really is stopped, the reboot proceeds normally, which is much better
37 > > since I had to go into the loft to reboot the box manually,
43 > --
44 > Alan McKinnon
45 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
49 A bit roundabout, but you can also try making a 'pseudo-service'. Make it
50 'depend' on a late-stage service so it starts last, and shuts down early.
51 The stop() part of the pseudo-service should perform an lsof >> a file (in
52 a directory still available during the last throes of OpenRC like, say,
53 /etc).
54
55 I hope I'm making sense...
56