From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /home doesn't umount on shutdown
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:59:04
1 On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:09:56 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > On the rare occasion when I reboot or shut this laptop down, it
7 > > continually and consistently gets stuck on one of the final steps,
8 > > to umount /home
9 >
10 > If you logout as your user(s) so only root is logged in, does lsof
11 > show any hits for /home?
12
13 Only 1 hit - a background ssh process that sets up a bunch of tunnels
14 and port forwards so I can get into the corporate network for anywhere.
15
16 But I was not able to make the problem re-appear in short reboot
17 cycles. So whatever is hanging the box is something that starts up in
18 the course of work, it doesn't appear to be there directly after a KDE
19 login.
20
21 I might have to look at my work flow closely to find all those unusual
22 things I do in the course of work. I did manage to see the full
23 shutdown output on the screen with these tests though - it
24 umounts /home then umounts /boot, but the second umount message is
25 never displayed. Seeing as it's just a regular sdb1 partition using
26 ext2 I don;t really think it's getting stuck as the next step starts
27 up. It's more likely to have something to do with /home
31 > I had a similar problem with my MythTV backend failing to
32 > unmount /var. It turned out that mythbackend was failing to shutdown
33 > but openrc carried on trying to shutdown. If I make sure mythbackend
34 > really is stopped, the reboot proceeds normally, which is much better
35 > since I had to go into the loft to reboot the box manually,
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com