From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ogg-vorbis tools and cups
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:45:20
1 On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:18:16 -0800 (PST)
2 maxim wexler wrote:
3
4 > Hello everybody,
5 >
6 > I notice emerge ogg-vorbis insists on taking cups
7 > along with it. emerge info reveals cups flag _is_
8 > being used. But why use it then? What does printing
9 > have to do with playing ogg files. Why not go through
10 > the flags and install everything they point to? That
11 > would make as much sense as installing printer drivers
12 > when audio tools were called for. I've run emerge lots
13 > of times on the present OS and cups was never
14 > requested until now. Oh, and another thing: I don't
15 > have cups in my make.conf. Doesn't make.conf override
16 > the defaults?
17
18 There doesn't appear to be a package named ogg-vorbis on my system, or
19 in portage:
20
21 http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ogg-vorbis
22
23 So it makes your question a little difficult to answer.
24
25 However you can tarce dependencies by use of the --tree or -t switch for
26 emerge:
27
28 emerge -pvt ogg-vorbis
29
30 might tell you what is dragging in cups. (well it would if there were
31 such a package). Then you can read the ebuild of the package that is
32 dependent on cups top find out why.
33
34 USE flags are inherited from a number of places, all cumulative, with
35 make.conf only being your preferences. Your profile governs what is
36 added before make.conf adds its bits.
39 > -mw
40 >
41 > -mw
42 >
44 > Do You Yahoo!?
45 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
46 > http://mail.yahoo.com
47 > --
48 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
51 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>