From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:20:38
1 On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:26:52 +0100
2 "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Sorry for the slight OT. On Monday I'll have a new shiny MacBook Pro
7 > at home :) (where I will install Gentoo, of course). For this reason,
8 > I'd like to have wireless at home.
9
10 I myself had to broaden my horizons to set up wireless too. It's a lot
11 more complicated than wired ethernet, but luckily most of the
12 difficulty is hidden away from the user.
13
14 > So I'm planning to buy a wireless router to share my current DSL*
15 > connection. Since my knowledge on wireless is practically none (I
16 > never owned a notebook since 386 days), I'd like to hear what
17 > Gentooers have to say on how to choose it.
18
19 I built my own router and put an Atheros WiFi card in it, and
20 performance has been great. I run WPA security - hostapd on the
21 router, wpa_supplicant on my clients. I'm very happy with the
22 performance.
23
24 > I was also thinking about *building* the wireless router by using one
25 > of the old boxes I have at home and good ol'Tux. Is this possible? In
26 > this case, what kind of wireless hardware do I need to attach?
27
28 It is my understanding that this is generally accepted to be faster
29 than an integrated router/wifi package. I like it because you have a
30 very fine grained control over routing, firewall, and the like. Yes, I
31 highly recommend this.
32
33 > Thanks,
34 > m.
35 >
36 > *technically it's optical fiber
37
38 I'm so jealous. I was just lamenting the other day that
39 whereas I feel that we should have fiber all over the place by now, I
40 feel like internet access prices are crazy. For example, right now
41 from home on a residential line I only get 384Kb upload, but they
42 happily allow me 6Mb down. However, all the business plans at the same
43 price offer less speeds. WTF? Of course, the speed is guaranteed, but
44 still... I really wish we had embraced fiber here in America. We'rea
45 ll still running stupid phone lines (dsl) or coax. (cable) for high
46 speed. I yearn for a T3 slice -- hell, I'd drool over a bonded, or
47 even a single, T1. Not that you're getting those speeds, but I bet you
48 can bump your bandwith without too much $$ and without worrying about
49 capping out at 8Mb or so (about the max of cable round here).
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list