From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:40:26
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > Remember that the GPL has always been about all the users NOT just the
4 > developers/distributors -- "adapt it to your needs" is not allowed when it
5 > restricts other users' freedoms.
6
7 Very few GPL proponents are willing to make this (rather obviously true)
8 statement; I'm glad some are. But to be more accurate, one should say
9 that the GPL has always been about guaranteeing users freedoms *at the
10 expense of* the developer's freedoms.
11
12 I'm not sure why that seems to be such a problem for GPL proponents to
13 admit. It's perfectly legitimate for the GPL to explicitly limit
14 developer's freedoms (such as the freedom to DRM their binaries), since
15 the developers explicitly choose to allow the GPL to do so.
16
17 --Mike
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list