From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerging squid indefinitely
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:55:09
1 On 25/11/2015 13:30, lee wrote:
2 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:39:01 +0100
5 >> lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>
8 >>> ...
11 >>> Well, ok, the file is still locked.
12 >>>
13 >>> 'group-' looks like a backup, and 'group.lock' contains 10563, which
14 >>> is the pid of groupadd. I'd think that's ok.
15 >>>
16 >>> So what all does it take to create a system group? I suppose I could
17 >>> kill groupadd and the emerging might go on, though I wonder what the
18 >>> problem might be and if something else besides making an entry to
19 >>> /etc/group needs to be done. What might require an indefinite delay
20 >>> here?
21 >>
22 >> Any unusual network activity? (DNS lookups that shouldn't be
23 >> happening, etc.)
24 >
25 > There's nothing suspicious in the firewall log and no unexpected DNS
26 > queries.
27
28 Ignore DNS, it has absolutely nothing to do with creating a group. A
29 common human trait in dealing with problems with unknown causes is to
30 start investigating all manner of weird and entirely unrelated things.
31
32 I suppose theoretically you might discover some interaction between them
33 in truly bizarre conditions but that's never something you entertain.
34 Much like you don't check the health of your dog when investigating a
35 flat type (protests about dogs biting tyres and getting stomach upsets
36 notwithstanding)
37
38 > The emerge before this one was apache, which I suppose also creates a
39 > system group, and that worked just fine.
40 >
41 > I'll probably reboot today or tomorrow because I need to have a
42 > differently configured kernel running to be able to do some traffic
43 > shaping. If I do that, I'll probably just kill groupadd and see if the
44 > merging continues.
45
46 The group is already created so kill groupadd. One of three things will
47 happen:
48
49 1. the emerge will continue. Do nothing
50 2. The emerge will fail with a groupadd error. Restart the emerge
51 3. Nothing will change. Kill the emerge and restart it
52
53 If the lockfile persists after killing groupadd, delete it.
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com