From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerging squid indefinitely
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:33:42
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:39:01 +0100
4 > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >> ...
10 >> Well, ok, the file is still locked.
11 >>
12 >> 'group-' looks like a backup, and 'group.lock' contains 10563, which
13 >> is the pid of groupadd. I'd think that's ok.
14 >>
15 >> So what all does it take to create a system group? I suppose I could
16 >> kill groupadd and the emerging might go on, though I wonder what the
17 >> problem might be and if something else besides making an entry to
18 >> /etc/group needs to be done. What might require an indefinite delay
19 >> here?
20 >
21 > Any unusual network activity? (DNS lookups that shouldn't be
22 > happening, etc.)
23
24 There's nothing suspicious in the firewall log and no unexpected DNS
25 queries.
26
27 The emerge before this one was apache, which I suppose also creates a
28 system group, and that worked just fine.
29
30 I'll probably reboot today or tomorrow because I need to have a
31 differently configured kernel running to be able to do some traffic
32 shaping. If I do that, I'll probably just kill groupadd and see if the
33 merging continues.