From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GCC 5.4.0
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 07:57:48
1 On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 17:29:28 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > What I hope for is a way to selectively download only the gcc-5 ebuild
4 > and its depndencies, which I could temporarily put in a separate local
5 > repo. Then, if the gcc update goes OK, I can move them in the normal
6 > portage tree and go ahead with the rest of the update.
7
8 PORTDIR="/somewhere/else" emerge --sync
9
10 should give you a new copy of the portage tree without touching the
11 original.
12
13 You may be overthinking this, I have no recollection of the gcc-5.4.0
14 update which means either there was nothing to remember or I'm losing the
15 plot. I hope it is the former. That includes installing it on stable
16 systems that run testing gcc to make use of distcc easier.
17
18 gcc is slotted so you will still have 4.9 available should anything go
19 wrong. You can potentially get build failures with a gcc upgrade but that
20 won't affect your installed software, so it's an inconvenience rather
21 than a problem.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Plagarism prohibited. Derive carefully.