From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: GCC 5.4.0
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:45:57
1 On Monday 24 Apr 2017 08:57:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 17:29:28 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 > > What I hope for is a way to selectively download only the gcc-5 ebuild
4 > > and its depndencies, which I could temporarily put in a separate local
5 > > repo. Then, if the gcc update goes OK, I can move them in the normal
6 > > portage tree and go ahead with the rest of the update.
7 >
8 > PORTDIR="/somewhere/else" emerge --sync
9 >
10 > should give you a new copy of the portage tree without touching the
11 > original.
12 >
13 > You may be overthinking this, I have no recollection of the gcc-5.4.0
14 > update which means either there was nothing to remember or I'm losing the
15 > plot. I hope it is the former. That includes installing it on stable
16 > systems that run testing gcc to make use of distcc easier.
17 >
18 > gcc is slotted so you will still have 4.9 available should anything go
19 > wrong. You can potentially get build failures with a gcc upgrade but that
20 > won't affect your installed software, so it's an inconvenience rather
21 > than a problem.
22
23 I'm with Neil here, I think you are labouring over a process that portage will
24 mostly take care of itself. As others have already suggested;
25
26 1. Emerge the new gcc:
27
28 emerge -uaDv gcc
29
30 2. List available gcc versions:
31
32 gcc-config -l
33 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.9.4 *
34 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-5.4.0
35
36 3. Select the new gcc version:
37
38 gcc-config 2
39 gcc-config -l
40 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.9.4
41 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-5.4.0 *
42
43 4. Source the new profile:
44
45 . /etc/profile
46
47 5. Rebuild all packages that have a dependency on libstdc++.so.6':
48
49 revdep-rebuild --library 'libstdc++.so.6' -- --exclude gcc
50
51 6. Clean old versions of gcc you no longer need:
52
53 emerge --depclean -a -v
56 NOTE: If some program fails to emerge on step 5 continue with 'emerge --
57 resume --skip-first' and make a note of the package that failed to emerge.
58 When step 5 finishes manually emerge the previously failed packages with
59 'emerge -1aDv <package_1> <package_2>'
60
61 I hope I haven't forgotten any steps above, but if you run into trouble post
62 back with specifics.
63 --
64 Regards,
65 Mick