From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo File Manager
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:37:21
1 On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Robert Bridge wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:34:26 -0600
4 > >
5 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> Mick wrote:
7 > >>> Hi All,
8 > >>>
9 > >>> I am trying out the Gentoo File Manager, but have run aground with
10 > >>> the way it opens certain types of files. How can I create an
11 > >>> association to e.g. use xpdf to open pdf files and OOo (oowriter)
12 > >>> to open .odt and .doc files? All I get now is a plain text editor
13 > >>> firing up and opening such files. Same applies with pictures,
14 > >>> videos, etc.
15 > >>
16 > >> For those that are stumped like I was, it looks neat.
17 > >>
18 > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_(file_manager)
19 > >>
20 > >> I wish this was in portage. I'd like to give this a ride and see how
21 > >> I like it. Any reason it is not in portage? Does it look neat but
22 > >> suck in real use or something? I use Konqueror for mine right now
23 > >> but curious.
24 > >
25 > > It is in portage, app-misc/gentoo
26 > >
27 > > However, it's a glib-1/GTK-1 package, so it's pretty outdated in terms
28 > > of toolkit.
29 > >
30 > > RobbieAB.
31 >
32 > Hey I looked but missed that one. There is a good bit of stuff with
33 > Gentoo in it so I missed the very one I was looking for. May give that
34 > a look if the dependencies are not to much.
35 >
36 > I wonder how many people think that is Gentoo the OS and they can just
37 > "emerge" it? LOL Sort of funny in a way.
38
39 I also use Konqueror as a file manager, because it just works (TM) - well
40 except for printing to PDF which lately is playing up . . . but I digress. I
41 am running Fluxbox which is lighter than KDE and when I just want to poke
42 around a GUI quickly I have found that Konqueror (or any KDE application)
43 takes quite a few seconds to fire up. Gentoo (file manager) pops up in no
44 time at all and uses less resources.
45
46 However, as originally stated it will by default open files using a plain text
47 editor which is less than useful with binary files. I tried to set it up to
48 use a more relevant to the file format viewer (e.g. xpdf for pdf files, etc)
49 but have failed to get it to work properly. Does anyone know how to
50 configure this feature?
51 --
52 Regards,
53 Mick