From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Localmount starts before LVM
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:32:43
1 On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:08:12 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:48:13 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >
6 > > > I'm using metadata version 1.2 for the raid0 array and the type is
7 > > > kernel based autodetect.
8 > >
9 > > Ouch, auto-detect does not work with metadata 1.2.
10 > > Please read the man-page section:
11 > >
12 > > Please rebuild the raid-device using v0.90 metadata and try again.
13 >
14 > I don't understand why your using RAID at all. LVM on top of RAID0
15 > makes no sense to me when you can simply make each device a PV and
16 > add it to the VG. That's more flexible and easier to repair.
20 Some folks like to do the striping in RAID, it's more controllable. 1st
21 block on this disk, 2nd block on that disk, 3rd block on first disk
22 again...
23
24 Pooling LVM PVs into a VG is a huge gigantic basket of stuff where you
25 don't really get to control very much - LVM sticks data wherever it
26 wants to and you do little more than give some gentle hints (which
27 I strongly suspect are mostly ignored)
28
29 But yes, in the usual case RAID-0 on LVM doesn't make much sense for
30 most folks.
31
32 Personally, I prefer ZFS. This whole huge list of shit just goes away:
33
34 disk partitions
35 partition types
36 disk labels
37 worrying about if my block size is right
38 worrying if my boundaries are correct
39 PVs as different from VGs and LVs
40 VGs as different from PVs and LVs
41 LVs as different from PVs and VGs
42 lvextend && growfs to make stuff bigger
43 umount && shrinkfs && lvreduce && growfs && mount to make stuff smaller
44
45 I can now take a much simpler view of things:
46
47 "I have these disks, use 'em. When I've figured out the actual quotas
48 and sizes I need, I'll let you know. Meanwhile just get on with it and
49 store my stuff in some reasonable fashion, 'mkay? kthankxbye! I have
50 real work to do."
51
52 :-)
56 Alan McKinnon