From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Localmount starts before LVM
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:00:03
1 On Tuesday 11 December 2012 05:57 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:08:12 +0000
3 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:48:13 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>> I'm using metadata version 1.2 for the raid0 array and the type is
8 >>>> kernel based autodetect.
9 >>>
10 >>> Ouch, auto-detect does not work with metadata 1.2.
11 >>> Please read the man-page section:
12 >>>
13 >>> Please rebuild the raid-device using v0.90 metadata and try again.
14 >>
15 >> I don't understand why your using RAID at all. LVM on top of RAID0
16 >> makes no sense to me when you can simply make each device a PV and
17 >> add it to the VG. That's more flexible and easier to repair.
21 > Some folks like to do the striping in RAID, it's more controllable. 1st
22 > block on this disk, 2nd block on that disk, 3rd block on first disk
23 > again...
24 >
25 > Pooling LVM PVs into a VG is a huge gigantic basket of stuff where you
26 > don't really get to control very much - LVM sticks data wherever it
27 > wants to and you do little more than give some gentle hints (which
28 > I strongly suspect are mostly ignored)
29 >
30 > But yes, in the usual case RAID-0 on LVM doesn't make much sense for
31 > most folks.
32 >
33 > Personally, I prefer ZFS. This whole huge list of shit just goes away:
34 >
35 > disk partitions
36 > partition types
37 > disk labels
38 > worrying about if my block size is right
39 > worrying if my boundaries are correct
40 > PVs as different from VGs and LVs
41 > VGs as different from PVs and LVs
42 > LVs as different from PVs and VGs
43 > lvextend && growfs to make stuff bigger
44 > umount && shrinkfs && lvreduce && growfs && mount to make stuff smaller
45 >
46 > I can now take a much simpler view of things:
47 >
48 > "I have these disks, use 'em. When I've figured out the actual quotas
49 > and sizes I need, I'll let you know. Meanwhile just get on with it and
50 > store my stuff in some reasonable fashion, 'mkay? kthankxbye! I have
51 > real work to do."
52 >
53 > :-)
57 Exactly the reason why I wanted RAID0 and LVM in combination: more IOPS.
58 ZFS looks very interesting, how stable is it?
61 Nilesh Govindarajan
62 http://nileshgr.com