From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternate mta's
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 22:01:55
1 Am Sat, 04 May 2013 16:17:01 -0400
2 schrieb Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On 2013-05-04 3:27 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On 04/05/2013 18:52, Tanstaafl wrote:
6 > >> Ok, I have msmpt installed and working just fine.
7 > >>
8 > >> Now, all of a sudden, emerge -pvuDN world wants to install mailx.
9 > >>
10 > >> equery depends mailx says rkhunter is pulling it in via virtual/mailx
11 > >>
12 > >> Why isn't this dependency satisfied by the presence of msmtp?
13 > >>
14 > >> And more importantly, how can I fix it without installing mailx?
15 >
16 > > Simplest answer:
17 > >
18 > > It was never done because nobody did it.
19 > >
20 > > Whoever maintains virtual/mailx does so believing they have a decent set
21 > > of implementations available for you to use. There was never any
22 > > guarantee there that all possible satisfiers for virtual/mailx would be
23 > > listed.
24 > >
25 > > File a feature request at b.g.o. if you feel msmtp satsifies virtual/mailx.
26 >
27 > Actually, I'm not really concerned about virtual/mails...
28 >
29 > My question is why does it want to install the full program
30 > 'net-mail/mailx'? That would mean I had two mta's on my system, which
31 > should be a conflict, right? I know if I try to install postfix, it
32 > complains about msmtp as a blocker.
33
34 I have both postfix and mailx. You'll notice that the category of mailx is
35 mail-client and not mail-mta (or "net-mail", as you wrote). mail-client/mailx is
36 simply a command line email client used for automating the sending and
37 receiving of emails; on my system it is as far as I can tell only used by
38 smartmontools.
39
40 Unless msmtp also provides {,/usr}/bin/mail there isn't really an issue here.
41
42 HTH
43 --
44 Marc Joliet
45 --
46 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
47 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup