From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 20:48:57
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 15:49:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5
6 > Yes, I agree it needs a full overhaul of the way it communicates what is
7 > happening.
10 One simple fix is this blockage of packages that do not need to be blocked.
11 When I wait more than 5 or 6 days to update, I often get many packages to
12 build, running something like 'emerge -uDNvp world'. Yes I know I can sit
13 there and go through every package with --ask, but that is a huge
14 waist of time, particularly if you poll user desires. So I find all
15 the packages (ugly little cut|awk|sed|paste script) and install everything
16 that is not really block. Source && update and then concentrate on the
17 actual blockage. I'd be surprised if this is anything other than a trivial
18 fix to portage (hello no, I'm not working on portage!; Zac is very smart and
19 capable and look how he struggles...).
22 But our reticent developers think that is good for the rank and file
23 gentoo users; other see this sort of situation as obstinate.
24
25 So a simple improvement is to allow what can install, to install, in a
26 semantic where folks do not have to sit and watch the screen to keep the
27 updates rolling along; then leave the true blockage for close attention.
28 I.E. blockage should only *ever* effect the minimal of what has to be
29 blocked during an update.
32 YMMV_hth,
33 James