From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 00:00:01
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:12:42 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I don't use LVM but I suspect that on this list that would be the #1
5 >>> recommendation to take care of the numbers question.
6 >> Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
7 >> starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ... :D
8 >>
9 >> Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty
10 >> complex.
11 > It may look it, but you only have to learn the concepts once. That many
12 > physical partitions will be extra work forever, imagine what happens when
13 > one of the middle ones is no longer big enough.
14 >
15 > Seriously, spend half an hour reading up on LVM and you'll never regret
16 > it.
21 Besides, even I can use LVM now. I even reduced one and took a drive
22 off, mostly to learn. Between Neil and Alan, plus others, you would
23 have some good helpers here. Heck, read over my old threads. I even
24 posted the commands I used to remove a drive a few days ago. There's
25 not much better than having someone that has already done it to post the
26 commands used. At least then you know it works.
27
28 Am I going to put / on LVM, not yet. I'm still a can or two short of a
29 six pack. I got to get the init thingy to work and work WELL first.
30
31 If I were you, I would at least try to put /boot and / outside LVM then
32 everything else on LVM. Just make sure /boot and / have PLENTY of space
33 since they are pretty much committed at that point. This is something I
34 am thinking of doing on my rig and one reason I removed the a drive from
35 LVM. I needed some space to swap things around even from a CD/DVD boot.
36
37 Once you learn how to use it, it really is nice. Setting it up is not
38 bad at all. It's when you need to move data that you can't back up or
39 afford to lose that it gets hairy. That is true for traditional
40 partitions to tho.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!